Getting Mothers in Motion - Request for Applications
The Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women and Sport and Physical
Activity (CAAWS) is seeking opportunities to collaborate with eight (8)
communities across Canada interested in developing and delivering a physical
activity program and/or sport initiative for mothers of low socioeconomic
status (LSES) that fully integrates a healthy eating and/or nutrition
for sport component.
Mothers in Motion is a national initiative focused on increasing physical
activity and sport opportunities for low socioeconomic status mothers.
Communities across Canada are invited to submit an application. Funding
for Getting Mothers in Motion has been made possible through a financial
contribution from the Public Health Agency of Canada.
The goal of the Mothers in Motion project is to increase physical activity
and sport opportunities for low socioeconomic status mothers.
- During the funding period, eight communities will be selected to
collaborate with CAAWS on the development and implementation of a Mothers
in Motion physical activity and/or sport program for mothers of low
- Applicants are encouraged to review the Mothers in Motion tools and
resources, and to integrate key concepts and research findings into
the development of their proposal. To learn more about the barriers
and identified solutions, please visit the Mothers in Motion website
Refer to the Focus Group Report, the Executive
Summary and/or the various comprehensive assessment
checklists to evaluate existing programs, services and/or facilities.
- Each program must be a minimum of 8 weeks with the ultimate goal
of promoting the importance of healthy, active living. Programs must
begin before June 1, 2010.
- Each community will receive $2,000 in program support which can be
used for equipment, resources, promotion of programs and/or events,
childcare services, or transportation costs for LSES mothers.
Expectations of successful applicants
- To maintain ongoing communication with CAAWS.
- To develop and implement the program as outlined in the application
for funding; CAAWS must be advised of any changes which will be negotiated
- To comply with project monitoring and evaluation requirements
– CAAWS will provide Program Leaders with simple evaluation and
monitoring tools to collect information about their involvement in the
national project, the community physical activity or sport program,
and the experiences of the LSES mothers. All tools must be completed
and submitted to CAAWS two weeks following the completion of the program.
- To provide a detailed accounting of how program funding was
- To provide high resolution photographs for future use by CAAWS
for external publications and/or on the internet. CAAWS will provide
Program Leaders with a participant release form.
Preference will be given to applications which:
- Include all requested information. Please complete the Application
Form which can be downloaded below.
- Specifically target mothers of low socioeconomic status (LSES)
- Integrate Mothers in Motion concepts and key findings in the program
development and implementation.
- Demonstrate shared leadership with other community groups and organizations,
e.g. with letters of support.
- Demonstrate a community matching capacity, whether in-kind or financial.
CAAWS acknowledges that access to financial, facility and human resources
varies widely across communities, organizations and sectors. CAAWS will
consider the context of each proposal in the decision-making process.
Applications are not being accepted at this time
see this years winners